Have y’all had Hershey’s cinnamon chips? They are 100%, positively, absolutely the best baking chips out there. Each morsel is a bite of cinnamon heaven. Hershey somehow achieved the the perfect ratio of sweet to earthy cinnamon flavor, with just a *hint* of spice. Seriously, YUM.
But let’s try to keep these chips on the down low, capeesh? They can unfortunately be somewhat hard to find, depending on the store, time of year, etc. And before you ask, “have you checked Amazon?” Of course, it’s 2017. Sadly, cinnamon chips are quite expensive on Amazon. Worst of all, they DON’T QUALIFY FOR PRIME. So even if I was willing to pay nearly $7 for a 10-ounce bag of chips (which I certainly am not), I am NEVER willing to pay for Amazon shipping. That’s pretty much my Golden Rule…”Thou shalt only buy items from Amazon that have Prime shipping.”
Moral of the story is these chips are amazing, so when you find them you should definitely buy in bulk. This way, you will have them on hand whenever you want to whip up delicious treats like these Apple Cinnamon Blondies! Which, trust me, will quickly become a staple in your fall baking repertoire.
Like traditional blondies, these bars are super gooey and buttery. In the spirit of the season, I kicked them up a notch and by adding cinnamon chips (*see obsessive comments above*) and diced apples. I actually sauté the apples before adding them to the batter, as this helps with both texture and flavor. The soft, cooked apples blend beautifully into the blondies for a smoother, more cohesive bar, and also pack in extra warm, toffee/caramel flavor.
If you’re looking for any more reasons to make these Apple Cinnamon Blondies, don’t forget they can be made in ONE PAN on the stove. This is my absolute favorite thing about blondies….the easier the better!
So put down the pumpkin for a minute and give Apple Cinnamon Blondies a try. You will quickly see that they truly are the superstar of fall desserts!
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan. Mix in chopped apples and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let the apples cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Pour apples in a small bowl and set aside.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and add in remaining butter. Once melted, add in remaining 2 cups of brown sugar and whisk to combine.
- Remove from heat. Add the eggs, mixing quickly so the egg does not scramble. Mix in vanilla.
- Add in the flour, salt and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the cinnamon chips and cooked apples. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The bars will be golden brown and a toothpick should come out of the center clean. Once the blondies have completely cooled, cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.