Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t like Funfetti? I sure haven’t. (Wait- do you capitalize Funfetti? Is it a proper noun? I’m going to proceed like it is)
On more than one occasion, I have witnessed someone who proudly claims that “they don’t like sweets” sneak a Funfetti treat when they thought no one was looking. Not that these people should necessarily be what’s used to justify how delicious Funfetti is, as those who “don’t like sweets” are typically not to be trusted.
To be honest, I’m not a big sprinkle girl when it comes to ice cream (sorry Briana.) Now don’t get me wrong–I don’t have anything against sprinkles. I would just never choose them as an ice cream topping. Sure, they’re pretty. But I like ice cream with big chunks in it, so navigate towards toppings like Oreo pieces, cookie dough or candy.
However, when it comes to Funfetti, it’s a different story! I love how the rainbow sprinkles pop against the white background in which they are nestled, and how they provide a slight crunch with each bite. The light, buttery flavor of the baked good is perfectly complimented by the sweet bits scattered throughout.
The other great thing about Funfetti is the multitude of options. Cupcakes, bars, cookies, cakes–the list goes on! You name a baked good, and I can tell you how to make a Funfetti version. Whatever the occasion, there is an appropriate Funfetti treat to accompany.
This particular Funfetti recipe is made particularly fun with the addition of a gooey layer of sweetness in the middle and CHOCOLATE!!! This recipe takes normal Funfetti bars and kicks it up a few notches– sweeter, gooey-er, richer. I mean let’s be real..has chocolate ever made anything worse? I think not. If you’re looking for a more indulgent Funfetti recipe, then congratulations!!! You have found a winner!
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¾ cup rainbow sprinkles
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk (I use fat-free)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9” pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix cake mix, butter, egg and vanilla with an electric beater until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Fold in half of the sprinkles to the dough.
- Press ⅔ of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and the other half of the sprinkles. Pour sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Pull small pieces from remaining dough and evenly space over the top of the bars. Gently Press down to flatten.
- Bake bars for about 27 minutes, or until light brown. Pull parchment out of pan and rest on surface to cool completely before slicing into bars. *